Sunday, February 7, 2010

Upper Cabinets

I pulled the upper cabinets out today. I plan to remove all of the internal paneling so that I can add foam insulation, fix some rot along the edges, and redo the wiring. I managed to feel some electrical current a couple of months back when I touched the camper while also touching the jack. I have been doing research on 12v systems and plan to rewire the camper just to be sure it is safe.

Not planning anything grand. I want to be able to run off shore power, or battery. Electricity has never been my store suit, so I order a book.

http://www.amazon.com/Managing-12-Volts-Troubleshoot-Electrical/dp/0964738627

I have also been doing some research on the tear drop forum. If you have not checked this site out it is worth a look. There is a done of DIY camper information there applicable to all campers.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Here are the 3 upper cabinets. I have been deciding whether to build new, or paint the old. I am leaning on building new at this point to give the camper an updated look. Probably face frames and 2 doors per cabinet. I also need a 4th cabinet. There are only 3 in the standard Alaska layout, but since my camper is empty I might as well fill that space for more storage. Now to decide what wood to use. I think something light and natural with just a Tung oil finish. I will want to match the new interior paneling once that is installed.



I could some help identifing this plastic. It is used throughout the camper to fill in any gaps in the cabinets where they are mounted to the camper. What is it? And where can I get something close? It is a plastic tab with a round end on one side used to cover up any gaps between the cabinets and the paneling.


Next up is to work on rebuilding these and work on pulling the paneling out. There are way too may tiny screws in the Alaskan. I have hundreds to remove. Once the paneling is removed the extent of the upper damage will be apparent. I do not feel positive about this, but it needs to be done in order to create a platform worth remodeling in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rod, they sell that material at Vintage Trailer Supply. They sell it in a roll or by the foot. www.vintagetrailersupply.com I shall be following your progress closely as I have an 1984 8' c/o I bought for $200 and is going to need a complete overhaul as well. Harold

    ReplyDelete