Saturday, February 6, 2010

Replacing the hydraulics - the evil flare tool

The Flare tool is not your friend

I set to work this weekend on repairing the lift mechanism on the Alaska camper. I had nicked one of the lines gutting the camper. Once bare, I was not too keen on the how the lines where laid out. They meet dead center in the middle of the camper. Since I want to build 2 beds long the wheel wells and keep the center open, I needed a new layout. I was not too sure of how to go about re-plumbing the lines, and turned to Expedition Portal for advise. The general consensus was to keep the lines all the same length; which is how the original set-up is configured.

Armed with a few tips, I went to work. First up was a trip to Menard's for some new 1/4” copper line and a lovely flare tool. Total cost was $26 and $9 for hydraulic fluid at Advanced Auto Parts down the street.


Flare tool bad:


Flare tool good - remember the connector...


Well it took most of the afternoon, but I did finally get all the lines laid out basically how I wanted them along the wheel wells. The basic layout is the same. The left and right sides are connected. These connections are split in the middle. From here feeder lines run back to join both sides and finally the pump line runs to the connection of both feeders. This means that all lines are essentially the same length and receive equal hydraulic pressure from the pump.





Black beauty is finally down.

In the end I did get the jack working and was able to lower the camper for the first time in a couple of months. I was worried that there would be some leaks caused by having the lift cylinders empty for so long. This was not that case and all the seals seemed to hold. The one that did not was the only once I forgot to tighten. Needless to say, I cleaned up hydraulic fluid for some time and several more F bombs where recited.

No comments:

Post a Comment