Monday, February 1, 2010

Replacing the floor

Once the old plywood was exposed we see the floor for what it was - toast. A previous owner had added an additional 3/4 sheet under the original and then used auto body putty to fill in the missing spots. The newer floor was bolted to the old so I removed all the nuts and slowly raised the camper. To my amazement the addition stayed put and I slid it out from under the camper. Now onto the primary floor.


I lowered the camper back down and started to ponder the removal of the primary floor. Now I figure this could go 1 of about 3 ways.

1. I jack up the camper and pry off the primary floor. The camper collapses and fall on me. resulting in me losing $500 bucks and gaining a trip to the Emergency room or the undertaker.
2. The camper explodes and falls away from me - thus I retain my good looks, and only lose the $500.
3. The god of stupidity takes pity on me knowing a future dumb idea will be forthcoming and more worthy of my demise.

Now a smarter man would have planned more then 5 minutes, but I have been looking at this camper since October every morning and I wanted to make some real progress. Once again, I jacked up the camper and uses a pry bar removed the primary floor. Nothing happened. Realizing, this was not the dumbest thing I had ever done I wasted no time laying a piece of 1/2 plywood under the camper and lowering back down. Not everything lines up as expected, but I would solve that later.

Now I do not have pictures of the floor being removed, or once it was removed. I am talented, but really could not figure out to to get my crap of a camera out while carrying a full sheet of plywood 30 feet, down some stairs, and then across and icy backyard. You will just have to believe me that sometimes stupid people do stupid things and they actually work out.

Here is a picture of the camper once the new plywood was under, but not attached. Not real exciting, but I never claimed any particular skill set. Next step - attach the floor and re-align the camper.


No comments:

Post a Comment